Like Fox on facebook! ♥

Thursday 16 May 2013

The Uni Adventures: Halloween

What a night!

We decided to have a shindig in our house to celebrate Halloween, and to set the ambiance of this spooky holiday Lui, Ace and me trotted down to the town, returning with armfuls of juice and decorations. First, we tumbled into the kitchen and plonked five pumpkins onto the table. Lisa got to work carving an adorable masterpiece whilst Ace completely savaged his, using it as some kind of poor orange pin-cushion. As for me, I've never carved a pumpkin before -- at a Halloween party Laura and I went to yeeeears ago there was a competition for the best carved pumpkin - and we won! We just didn't tell anybody that Laura's mum had done it for us.

After Andy cut the top part off for me, I sat with my spoon and started to cut patterns into it.

"Fox... What are you doing?" Andy said with a sigh and shake of the head.

"Carving!" I replied cheerily, confused as to why orange goo piled out onto my paws every time I cut into the side of the pumpkin.

"You need to hollow it out first, you dummy!" He tutted, demonstrating a 'how-to' at an impressive speed on his own.

After 20 or so minutes of scooping with a very soar paw, to my relief Ace impatiently grabbed my pumpkin and did the rest for me so that I could start carving... And we ended up with THIS!

Once the pumpkins were ready, we all padded downstairs to get into our fancy dress gear. Lui, Lisa and me all backcombed our fur, blobbed on the ketchup and brushed on the black eyeshadow. I know what you're thinking, but let me tell you... There comes a time in every man's life when it calls for a bit of make-up, and I think zombie-ing yourself up is a just-cause. We then grabbed several toilet rolls and proceeded to wrap Ace up mummy style.




Next, decor. We spread fake charcoal coloured cobwebs around the kitchen with glow in the dark spiders dangling from them. After that, we lined the stairs, landing and the cupboards, window sills and table of the kitchen with candles, verrrrrry carefully lighting them before flicking off the lights. We nestled some tea-lights inside our pumpkins and voila! The setting was complete and the house had never looked so eerie or beautiful!

After a few apple juices, a lot of laughs and some card games with everybody, we decided to bring our antics outside for the first of many rounds of night-time hide and seek! 

We branched off in pairs of hiders and seekers: Lui & Russel, Lisa & Ace, Al & Andy and Bradders & me.  Whilst the eagle and hound started counting, we all scampered off to find a hiding place. Bradders and I scuttled off into the night, cutting through the garden and green around the back of the house, and over to a row of hedges that divide the village from some vegetable fields home to a flock of sheep.

We pushed through into the hedges, Bradders nimbly scittering along the tangle of leaves and branches in a perfect squirrelish-way, whilst I ungracefully plunged in head first. We turned around to face the scene in front and watched as Al and Andy began trying to seek the echoes of Lui's delightfully infectious laugh.

Bradders nimbly hopped onto my head and perched between my ears.

"You okay?" I asked, a little bit too shakily.

"Pfff, I'm fine!" He replied unconvincingly.



We exchanged glances and started laughing a little too manically with nerves. We were becoming very aware that we were sat in a mysterious hedge in complete darkness, with a suspicious rustling noise loudening behind us. We crouched for a few more minutes, too pleased with our hiding place to move, when suddenly the rustling subsided and there came a loud:

CRUNCH!

I screamed like some kinda crazy-thing and bolted from the hedge, taking a very startled squirrel with me. Brad clung tight onto my ears as I ran away from a a huge, shadowy monster licking its lips ready for a midnight snack of fox and squirrel.

Or, actually, I mean I'm not 100% sure, but there is a possible possibility that it may have been a sheep that had been munching on some leaves behind where we had been sitting.

The seekers walked over, raising their eyebrows.

"Did you just run away from a sheep?" Andy said, looking at me.

There was a brief silence, before I looked up at Bradders. "I mean, honestly, Brad... It was just a sheep. Pull yourself together."

Brad's eyebrows shot up; the three animals' brows so high up they might have gotten tangled up with their ears.

I gave a nervous laugh, and said - "Sorry, I think I got a little sheepish"

"Oh ewe," Brad said, "You're going a little baa-rmy."

And after that woolly situation, we headed off to seek the rest...



No comments:

Post a Comment